Our Accessible Holiday Cottages
"From the outset it was our intention that the cottages would be designed with mobility, hearing and vision impaired guests in mind, not just as an after thought." Katherine and Andrew Graham, owners.
Wallops Wood is the perfect getaway for families, carers and friends alike. Our cottages have been designed accommodate several accessible guests and their carers in the same cottage with everyone enjoying privacy and comfort.
Please be aware that we are M3A rated under the Visit England NAS scheme. We offer a large range of accessibility aids however do not offer specialist equipment such as profiling beds, ceiling or mobile hoists and changing tables. This equipment needs to be hired directly with a specialist provider. Please note we cannot accept clinical waste.
We suggest ordering all specialists equipment from Solent Mobility who are very reliable and always deliver on time - please book your equipment ahead of your visit and call them directly on 023-92009999.
You can always contact us directly at Wallops Wood Cottages on 01489-878888 for any help you may need or to order some of our own equipment.
All major supermarkets deliver to our cottages.
Independent expert, Emma Bowler, reviewer for ’Rough Guide To Accessible Britain, Family Days Out’ said:
"When you have a disability, checking out access before you go on holiday is essential - good access makes a holiday enjoyable and hassle free, which is what holidays are all about. When you’re looking to book somewhere ask to see their accessibility guide, it should give you a clear indication of what to expect - including what specialist adaptations have been made to a property and what equipment is available. I was very impressed with Wallops Wood Cottages’ accessibility guide which can be downloaded and printed from the website."
The Disabled Friendly Features in our Cottages
Early Mist, Glenside and Sundew (M1, H1, V1)
All the cottages have a carver style arm chair in the dining area. There are touch activated lamps by the bedside in the master bedroom and the main lights also have switches by each bed. There is a swing-top bin in one bathroom and non-slip bath mats in all the bath/shower rooms.
Hedgehunter (M2, H1, V1)
This 4 bedroom cottage has a spacious master bedroom with en-suite wet room/ bathroom, with non-slip flooring, alarm pull cord and height adjustable basin. Plus all the facilities, as available in the M1 cottages.
Teal (M3, H1, V1)
Teal is a 3 bedroom cottage with all the facilities of the M1 and M2 cottages. In the kitchen the sink is set into the work surface and the under-sink cabinets can be removed to enable wheelchair access. Upon request, a convection oven, microwave and 2 ring electric hob can be placed on the lowered section of the worktop. There is an electric reclining chair in the sitting area. In the accessible bedroom, there is also a lower rail in the wardrobe.
Silver Birch (M3, H1, V1)
This 4 bedroom cottage has all the facilities of the M1 and M2 cottages, but it has an extremely large kitchen/dining room and lounge. There are two ovens with a microwave / conventional oven at a lower level and upon request, a 2 ring electric hob can be placed on the lowered section of the worktop. A single sink with a mixer tap is situated in a lower worktop. Two of the bedrooms have wet room / shower rooms.
Woodbrook (M3, H1, V1)
Woodbrook is a 2 bedroom cottage with the same facilities as the M1 and M2 cottages. The door of the oven is side opening and a lower work top in the kitchen where a hob and 2 ring electric hob can be placed upon request. The under-sink cabinets can be removed to enable wheelchair access upon request. One bedroom has a wet room shower room and there are French doors to a patio. View floor plan.
About our accessibility standards
- Each cottage is individually rated under the National Accessible Scheme.
- Awarded Gold in the Accessible and Inclusive Tourism Award 2019-2020 at the Beautiful South Awards 2019 - The judges noted: "Each customer is considered on an individual basis and a bespoke booking made based on the needs of the group. The range of equipment available is impressive as well as aiding guests to book specialise equipment locally."
- There are 2 designated block-paved disabled parking spaces adjacent to Teal and a level block-paved path to all cottages.
- We have added two new disabled parking spaces to cater for our accessible guests' needs. These are opposite the games/event room and in front of the the tuck shop.
- Oak floors, non-slip surfaces in the kitchens and bathrooms, and paved patio in the garden make it easy to move around.
- All bedrooms have zip and link beds that can be made up either as twin or super kingsize double beds, they have TVs and en-suite shower/bath rooms, so they are ideal for accommodating guests travelling with a carer.
- Guests retrieve their keys from a key safe by the door on arrival and we pop in to answer any questions about the facilities once they have had a chance to settle in. However, we are happy to help guests with their luggage on arrival and departure, and to take delivery of groceries, by prior arrangement.
- The Accessibility Guide includes floor plans of Hedgehunter and Teal as well as Silver Birch and Woodbrook, our newest cottages.
- All furniture can be moved to suit your requirements.
- There are Dymo embossed labels on the taps, the print in our information brochure in the cottages is a 14 font, and the smoke alarms flash to alert guests with impaired hearing.
- Whatever your request, large or small, please do ask and we will endeavour to help.
- We encourage people to visit our premises before they book. We can take them on a tour of our facilities and discuss any particular requirements they may have.
- Our indoor swimming pool is heated to between 30 and 31 degrees, a very comfortable temperature for our accessible guest and we have installed a moulded seat hoist which allows access to the pool and the jacuzzi with ease and comfort. Our beautifully designed changing room and toilet are fully accessible.
- The local GP surgery is happy to accept emergency appointments from non-residents and with our proximity to Southampton, Portsmouth and Winchester there is easy access to excellent hospitals in the case of an emergency.
- We also have space adjacent to the cottages for an air ambulance to land if necessary and the emergency action sheet includes longitude and latitude for this purpose.
Don't take our word for it?
Chris Cusack of Accomable stayed in Teal and shared his experienced insights in a blog and youtube video, he said: "...the facilities and layout of Wallops Wood were to such a high standard, that it allowed me to concentrate on enjoying the holiday rather than stressing about my care and needs, and we're already planning our next trip!?"
As well as several TripAdvisor reviews praising the adapted facilities, we're also listed and reviewed on Euan's Guide which features disabled access reviews from disabled people and their friends and families.