Welcome to Wallops Wood Cottages
Our Holiday Cottages re-opened on Saturday 4th July 2020!
On the 23rd of June the government gave the green light for us to open our doors to our guests.
During lockdown we’ve been keeping the site carefully maintained and we are overjoyed to be able to see all our returning guests once again and welcome new families to our beautiful countryside.
We have put together a detailed information charter of our cleaning procedures as well as new arrival time. Please CLICK HERE to read through these.
We have won several National Awards and have been consistently noted and praised for our "outstanding cleaning". We are now training our housekeeping team to go above and beyond our highest standards and preparing to reopen safely.
Just 1 hour away from London, we will ensure that all our guests can enjoy a fantastic staycation in the South Downs National Park.
Please visit the government guidelines for detailed information HERE.
Please keep an eye on our social media posts for more information.
Our Accessible Holiday Cottages
"From the outset it was our intention that the cottages would be designed with mobility, hearing and vision impaired guests in mind, not just as an after thought." Katherine and Andrew Graham, owners.
Wallops Wood is the perfect getaway for families, carers and friends alike. Our cottages have been designed accommodate several accessible guests and their carers in the same cottage with everyone enjoying privacy and comfort.
Please be aware that we are M3A rated under the Visit England NAS scheme. We offer a large range of accessibility aids however do not offer specialist equipment such as profiling beds, ceiling or mobile hoists and changing tables. This equipment needs to be hired directly with a specialist provider. Please note we cannot accept clinical waste.
We suggest ordering all specialists equipment from Solent Mobility who are very reliable and always deliver on time - please book your equipment ahead of your visit and call them directly on 023-92009999.
You can always contact us directly at Wallops Wood Cottages on 01489-878888 for any help you may need or to order some of our own equipment.
Food deliveries: All major supermarkets deliver to our cottages, name your cottage (either Teal, Silver Birch, etc...) and use the postcode SO32 3AQ ! All the supermarkets deliver here on a regular basis and the drivers know us. Please ensure you get your deliveries once you have arrived, as some supermarkets or drivers do not allow us to sign for someone's else's shopping!
Google Map of supermarkets and shops near our cottages!
Just amazing & Relaxing!
"We stayed in Teal with my daughter who is severely disabled, It was so easy to use the wheelchair within this property and easy access to the garden! The wet room is a good size as are all the rooms! The kitchen is well equipped with everything you need and kindly stocked with a couple of essentials to get you started including fresh bread & a yummy cake! The shared indoor pool was gorgeous Also has a hoist poolside! Lots of walks nearby, again with stunning scenery. It really is a wonderful place to relax, lots of places to visit within easy reach!" S. Atkinson
"It is difficult to find accommodation that is suitable for wheelchairs and which will also take dogs. Wallops Wood ‘ticked all the boxes’ for our family group.
It just gets better
"We’ve been staying at Wallops Wood now for 4 years and it’s just gets better. It’s ideal for a disabled family member with a dog, plus a hot tub.
Not many holiday cottages meet this criteria or standard. The pool and sauna make it even more luxurious.
We’ll be back soon!
K Turner, 8th October 2019
We listen to our guests - we add more of what they want!
An accessible changing room in the pool complex and two new accessible parking bays! Check out the videos below.
Independent expert, Emma Bowler, reviewer for ’Rough Guide To Accessible Britain, Family Days Out’ said:
When you have a disability, checking out access before you go on holiday is essential - good access makes a holiday enjoyable and hassle free, which is what holidays are all about. When you’re looking to book somewhere ask to see their accessibility guide, it should give you a clear indication of what to expect - including what specialist adaptations have been made to a property and what equipment is available. I was very impressed with Wallops Wood Cottages’ accessibility guide which can be downloaded and printed from the website.
The Disabled Friendly Features in our Cottages
Early Mist, Glenside and Sundew (M1, H1, V1)
All the cottages have a carver style arm chair in the dining area. There are touch activated lamps by the bedside in the master bedroom and the main lights also have switches by each bed. There is a swing-top bin in one bathroom and non-slip bath mats in all the bath/shower rooms.
Hedgehunter (M2, H1, V1)
This 4 bedroom cottage has a spacious master bedroom with en-suite wet room/ bathroom, with non-slip flooring, alarm pull cord and height adjustable basin. Plus all the facilities, as available in the M1 cottages.
Teal (M3, H1, V1)
Teal is a 3 bedroom cottage with all the facilities of the M1 and M2 cottages. In the kitchen the sink is set into the work surface and the under-sink cabinets can be removed to enable wheelchair access. Upon request, a convection oven, microwave and 2 ring electric hob can be placed on the lowered section of the worktop. There is an electric reclining chair in the sitting area. In the accessible bedroom, there is also a lower rail in the wardrobe.
Silver Birch (M3, H1, V1)
This 4 bedroom cottage has all the facilities of the M1 and M2 cottages, but it has an extremely large kitchen/dining room and lounge. There are two ovens with a microwave / conventional oven at a lower level and upon request, a 2 ring electric hob can be placed on the lowered section of the worktop. A single sink with a mixer tap is situated in a lower worktop. Two of the bedrooms have wet room / shower rooms.
Woodbrook (M3, H1, V1)
Woodbrook is a 2 bedroom cottage with the same facilities as the M1 and M2 cottages. The door of the oven is side opening and a lower work top in the kitchen where a hob and 2 ring electric hob can be placed upon request. The under-sink cabinets can be removed to enable wheelchair access upon request. One bedroom has a wet room shower room and there are French doors to a patio. View floor plan.
About our accessibility standards
- Each cottage is individually rated under the National Accessible Scheme.
- Awarded Gold in the Accessible and Inclusive Tourism Award 2019-2020 at the Beautiful South Awards 2019 - The judges noted: "Each customer is considered on an individual basis and a bespoke booking made based on the needs of the group. The range of equipment available is impressive as well as aiding guests to book specialise equipment locally."
- There are 2 designated block-paved disabled parking spaces adjacent to Teal and a level block-paved path to all cottages.
- We have added two new disabled parking spaces to cater for our accessible guests' needs. These are opposite the games/event room and in front of the the tuck shop.
- Oak floors, non-slip surfaces in the kitchens and bathrooms, and paved patio in the garden make it easy to move around.
- All bedrooms have zip and link beds that can be made up either as twin or super kingsize double beds, they have TVs and en-suite shower/bath rooms, so they are ideal for accommodating guests travelling with a carer.
- Guests retrieve their keys from a key safe by the door on arrival and we pop in to answer any questions about the facilities once they have had a chance to settle in. However, we are happy to help guests with their luggage on arrival and departure, and to take delivery of groceries, by prior arrangement.
- The Accessibility Guide includes floor plans of Hedgehunter and Teal as well as Silver Birch and Woodbrook, our newest cottages.
- All furniture can be moved to suit your requirements.
- There are Dymo embossed labels on the taps, the print in our information brochure in the cottages is a 14 font, and the smoke alarms flash to alert guests with impaired hearing.
- Whatever your request, large or small, please do ask and we will endeavour to help.
- We encourage people to visit our premises before they book. We can take them on a tour of our facilities and discuss any particular requirements they may have.
- Our indoor swimming pool is heated to between 30 and 31 degrees, a very comfortable temperature for our accessible guest and we have installed a moulded seat hoist which allows access to the pool and the jacuzzi with ease and comfort. Our beautifully designed changing room and toilet are fully accessible.
- The local GP surgery is happy to accept emergency appointments from non-residents and with our proximity to Southampton, Portsmouth and Winchester there is easy access to excellent hospitals in the case of an emergency.
- We also have space adjacent to the cottages for an air ambulance to land if necessary and the emergency action sheet includes longitude and latitude for this purpose.
Please look through our FREE ACCESSIBILITY EQUIPMENT list and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your items when you book. All equipment is booked on a first come first serve basis.
Wallops Wood Cottages can offer accessible guests a care service for all their needs whilst visiting us!
Verina Daly Care , is one of the many businesses based down the road from the cottages on the Wallops Wood estate.
Many of our guests have used their services and the feedback is always excellent. Please do book their services ahead of your visit.
Verina Daly Care offer short and longer term care from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Verina Daly Care offers 24 hour care and can help with :
- outings to the many wonderful attractions we have here in Hampshire
- cooking for you or your loved one
- companionship for a few hours or a whole day
Please contact them directly to enquire about a care service you may need whilst staying with us at Wallops Wood Cottages. If you have any questions and would like to speak with Verina Daly Care directly please call 02392-632 393. They are based at Wallops Wood HQ, so just 1 minute from our cottages.
Alternatively just call us on 01489-878888 to chat about your needs, we are always here to help!
Our Accessible Equipment
- Detailed information of our accessible offering is included in the Accessibility Guide. We have plans, measurements and more information for you.
- If you require additional equipment such as bed hoists or profiling beds, which we do not offer, please contact Solent Mobility (107 High Street, Lee-On-the-Solent PO13 9BU), Tel: 023 9200 9999 or www.solentmobility.co.uk . They will deliver and install most of your equipment, we will make up the profiling bed for you.
- Please note we do not accept clinical waste and cannot offer specific laundry requirements. Please speak with us if you are unsure about this.
There are many accessible attractions within easy distance of Wallops Wood Cottages. Here are just a few examples listed below and we have also compiled a downloadable list for you:
- Visit Winchester has produced a Visitor Trail by wheelchair which passes some of the city’s major attractions.
- Tourism South East’s website provides a comprehensive list of local attractions and their accessibility from Paulton’s Park, to Winchester Cathedral.
- The wonderful Hampshire countryside is more accessible than you might think and Accessible Countryside for Everyone provides a comprehensive list of accessible green spaces including country parks, beaches, nature reserves and National Trust properties.
- There is accessible cycling in the New Forest, riding in Eastleigh, power boating or sailing on the Solent and an adapted barge on the Basingstoke canal.
- Several of the local pubs and restaurants are wheelchair accessible including The Shoe Inn in Exton, The Bat and Ball on the way to Clanfield, Greens Restaurant in Wickham or for fine dining you might want to investigate the huge variety of award winning restaurants in Winchester.
- Visit Portsmouth Dockyards for a fun day out with a whole range of activities and sights to visit, they have a web page on accessibility which describes the many attractions.
Don't take our word for it?
Chris Cusack of Accomable stayed in Teal and shared his experienced insights in a blog and youtube video, he said: "...the facilities and layout of Wallops Wood were to such a high standard, that it allowed me to concentrate on enjoying the holiday rather than stressing about my care and needs, and we're already planning our next trip!?"
As well as several TripAdvisor reviews praising the adapted facilities, we're also listed and reviewed on Euan's Guide which features disabled access reviews from disabled people and their friends and families.