Dog-friendly days out
There are plenty of places to go for a day out with your four-legged friend.
Tourism South East has a 'dog friendly' page on their website but we have put together a more comprehensive list of attractions near to the cottages and pubs where your dog is also welcome, ideal for a day out walking or sightseeing.
- There are a number of sites managed by English Heritage nearby which are all dog-friendly including: Titchfield Abbey; Portchester Castle; Bishop's Waltham Palace; Fort Brockhurst and Netley Abbey.
- While the National Trust properties do not permit dogs in the buildings or cafes they are often welcome in the grounds including: The Vyne; Mottisfont; Hinton Ampner and Petworth Park.
- Other excellent days out include: Bere Forest; Alice Holt; Exbury Gardens; Weald & Downland; Hollycombe Steam Collection; Watercress Line; Wellington Country Park; Bursledon Windmill; Gilbert White's House (garden); Burseldon Brickworks Museum and Red Funnel Ferries to the Isle of Wight.
We have included walks direct from the door to several dog-friendly pubs in the 'Dog Basket' but there are many more nearby and if you're going for a day out it is well worth checking the website www.doggiepubs.org.uk. Here are just a few suggestions for dining out with your dog.
- The Globe, Alresford
- Monty's Inn, Beaulieu
- The Master Builders, Bucklers Hard
- The Rising Sun, Clanfield
- The Bat and Ball, Clanfield
- The Bakers Arms, Droxford
- Hampshire Bowman, Dundridge
- The Shoe Inn, Exton
- The Bucks Head, Meonstoke
- The White Lion, Soberton
- The Plough Inn, Sparsholt
- The George & Falcon, Warnford
- The Thomas Lord, West Meon
- The Golden Lion, Winchester
- The Running Horse, Winchester
- The Black Boy, Winchester
Dog friendly beaches on the South Coast
We're close to the South Coast, so why not spend a day at the beach. The following beaches permit dogs although there are restrictions at some times of the year so please check before going: Lepe Beach, Lee-on-the-Solent, Stokes Bay Gosport, Hayling Island and West Wittering.